41. freak out 气疯了,乐呆了,吓坏了
He freaked out when he heard hed got the job.
得知自己被录用后,他乐坏了。
42. piece of cake 很容易的事情
The exam was a piece of cake.
考试非常简单。
43. hit the nail on the head 说中要害,说到点子上
I think Mick hit the nail on the head when he said that whats lacking from this company is a feeling of confidence.
米克说这家公司缺少的是一种自信,我觉得他说到点子上了。
44. cosplayt an arm and a leg 花了一大笔钱
These shoes cosplayt me an arm and a leg.
这双鞋花了我一大笔钱。
45. hit the books 学习;做功课
I cant go out tonight. Ive got to hit the books.
我今晚不可以外出,我得做功课。
46. bite off more than you can chew 承担力所不及的事;不自量力
Clinton conceded1, We bit off more than we could chew in our original health care reform proposals2.
克林顿承认,大家刚开始的医疗改革计划超出了大家的能力。
47. when pigs fly 永无可能;决不可能
| Arent you going to buy that house?
| 你不计划买那套房了吗?
| I will when pigs fly. Its just so expensive, I dont think itll happen.
| 除非猪会飞吧。太贵了,我是一定买不起了。
48. judge a book by its cover 以貌取人
| I dont like our new neighbours very much, theyre quite strange.
| 我不喜欢咱们的新邻居,他们看着怪怪的。
| You shouldnt judge a book by its cover. I think theyre just a bit quirky but really nice!
| 不要以貌取人哦。我感觉他们虽然看着有点怪,但性格非常不错。
49. miss the boat (因行动慢而)错过机会,坐失良机
There were tickets available last week, but he missed the boat by waiting till today to try to buy some.
上周还有的票,但他一直等至今才想去买,错过了机会。
50. go the extra mile 付出比其他人期望中还要大的努力
Hes a nice guy, always ready to go the extra mile for his friends.
他是个好人,帮助朋友从来不怕麻烦。
再附赠一个:
51. shape up or ship out 行就好,不可以滚(不改进就解雇你)
This is the last time Im telling you to arrive on time. Shape up or ship out.
这是我最后一次告诉你:不要再迟到了。你如果再迟到就卷铺盖走人吧。